Skip to main content

I'm Sorry Boys, but this One's for the Girls!

I recently spent a ladies-only weekend away with my mom, my aunts and a few of my cousins (in-law). My Mom has three sisters. Think of the women from the novel Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood. They love wine, their families, shenanigans and each other.  

I remember thinking to myself – while the sisters were giggling uncontrollably and reminiscing about that night 50+ years ago when my aunt fell off the bed after watching an episode of Bonanza – that: “wow. I’m sure lucky to have these ladies in my life.”

Okay. I should probably clarify that it wasn’t so much the Bonanza story that made me feel so fortunate (to be honest, I didn’t really see what was so funny about the story —  maybe, you had to be there?) It actually wasn’t just one thing, but a series of small, individually insignificant, yet wonderful, moments that occurred during our weekend together. Don’t worry — I won’t go into detail as the Bonanza story was probably enough. There was just a lot of laughter, love, warmth and support.  It was wonderful. And very badass.

It could be my new I-appreciate-all-the-little-things-and-I-am-just-so-grateful attitude or maybe, the difficult months have taught me how therapeutic a good chat can be and how vital it is to have lady pals to lean on. Whatever the reason, I hate admitting that I did not fully appreciate these relationships until after my concussion, nor did I realize how important they were and are. This is extra terrible, too, because not only did I grow up surrounded by a family full of incredible women, but I also have some great women BFFs.

Kate Leaver, the author of the Friendship Cure, did an interview with the Evening Standard, where she explained why female friendships are so important (I think she nailed it!):

“The most beautiful thing about female friendship, to me,” Kate said. “Is its strength. Women make each other more resilient because, when female friendship is done right, it is this astounding source of confidence, reassurance, comfort, joy and candour that can truly guide you through life...

Sure, friendship can be brittle and complex and fallible, and so can we, but I have spoken to so many women who cherish their girlfriends in the most powerful way. Through staggering grief, depression, loss, cancer, trauma, domestic violence, emotional abuse, career failure, infertility, loneliness and death, women consistently find ways to hold one another’s hands and just get through.

I couldn’t have said it better myself (and I really mean that, like, I really couldn’t have said it better myself; that’s why I quoted Leaver).

To all the supportive, intelligent, genuine, strong, loving, funny, nurturing, beautiful and [ahhh insert every flattering adjective you can think of here] women in my life — near and far — I  love you. Thank you for holding my hand and getting me through.

And to all the supportive, intelligent, genuine, strong, loving, funny, nurturing, beautiful and [ahhh insert every flattering adjective you can think of here] women that I haven’t yet had the pleasure of meeting, “I pray that [you] will find girlfriends half as loyal and true as the Ya-Yas.” (Rebecca Wells, Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood.)

xoxo


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

What. A. Year. Am I right?  Looking back on 2018, a few words come to mind: exhaustion, setbacks, gratitude and perspective.  The last 12 months didn’t come without its share of challenges. I lost my job, broke up with my boyfriend, and moved in with my parents. My headaches, migraines, fatigue and visual snow were debilitating and I spent more days in bed than not.  Conclusion: It was a tough year. BUT, I am tougher (is tougher a word? Or is it like funner? And I should be saying more tough? In case you were wondering, I didn’t learn how to spell in 2018).  Despite the above setbacks, actually I think it’s because of them, I am happier now than I have ever been. I have learned to stop, to feel, and to appreciate the beauty in my day to day life. Before my injury, I was never really present and was so focused on the one or two things I didn’t have. Now, I am just so grateful for every little thing (this includes you!). Thank you for all of your love, encouragement and support and for f

No More UGGHS for this Girl

Hey y'all, Remember me? I did another guest article for the Brain Energy Support Team and I thought I would share it.  Hugs! - K No More UGHS for this Girl! Editor’s note: BEST welcomes back writer, blogger and BEST guest blogger, Kirsten Short, who shares a terrific and informative article on some helpful tools and strategies to engage your goals and journey forward in 2019. Thank you Kirsten for your important words and support! -- KT Click here to read more.

Do you know what a Spoonie is?

The theory was developed by Christine Miserandino to explain what it is like living with a chronic illness or disability (the whole spoon thing may seem weird to you, but she was in a diner when she came up with the analogy and my guess is that knives would have been a bit more dangerous to play with):       “The difference in being sick and being healthy is having to make choices or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn’t have to. The healthy have the luxury of a life without choices, a gift most people take for granted.  Most people start the day with unlimited amount of possibilities, and energy to do whatever they desire, especially young people. For the most part, they do not need to worry about the effects of their actions… I used spoons to convey this point.”   A healthy person will have an unlimited number of spoons, but a Spoonie, someone with a chronic illness or disability, will wake up in the morning with a limited number. T