Skip to main content

Passion

"What are you most passionate about? Why?"

Around five years ago, my girlfriends signed me up for the online dating website eHarmony. This is the first question you need to answer on your profile and it's the first response any of your matches see. 

I hated the question. (I know hate is a strong word, but I really did hate the query.)  I remember looking through the eHarmony advice section (yes, this is a thing) on how to complete this part of the questionnaire. A quick google search and I was surprised to see the article Answering the "Passion" Question is still online.  The columnist believed that the question could also be phrased as "what thrills you above and beyond pleasurable instinctual drives like eating, sleeping, and procreating?" She went on to say that it could "be broken down into components of “topic,” “object,” “action,” “skill set,” “outcome” and “purpose"... [and] including a mixture of these components in your answer will help you define your own passions."  

Why was formulating a response so difficult for me? Honestly, I just couldn't figure out what I was passionate about, and the more advice I got on the topic, the more confused I was. I found this infuriating and troubling.  

I ended up writing a boring paragraph about teaching. (For the record, I never went on an eHarmony date.) In my defense, I have always enjoyed teaching, whether that be coaching, tutoring, counselling, mentoring or facilitating.  As one of my Aunts would say, "it made my bum hum." (Reading what I just wrote, I do wonder if her favourite phrase is actually a reference to flatulence? I'll have to confirm. What I am trying to say is that I found it rewarding and it brought me a lot of joy when I did it.) 

So what was my problem?  The truth is that five years ago when I was creating my eHarmony profile, I wasn't actively pursuing the teaching path.  I was holding myself back as I didn't think I had enough experience to do it and as a result, I didn't have the components (object, topic, skill set, etc) to define my purpose and my passion. Ughhhhhh.... 

You're probably either wondering why I am bringing all of this up or you stopped reading when I mentioned flatulence.  If you're still with me, you'll be happy to hear that I have good news! (Drum roll please) I've finally figured out "what I am passionate about and why?" AND I have Stella to thank for it.  Through the ups and downs, highs and lows, of the last year, I have become so PASSIONATE about everything brain health.

AND... The exciting part is I've already found a place to volunteer.  A family friend had suggested I reach out to Mark Watson, who founded the Watson Centre Society for Brain Health. Through this family connection, I ended up attending an info-session about the rehabilitation program offered through the centre. Initially I thought that maybe I would enroll, but I realized a few slides into the presentation that I wouldn't be a good candidate. "The program...brings hope to brain injury survivors who’ve been told their symptoms would be a life sentence. The program proves that when individuals focus on rehabilitating the brain, positive change can happen."  This "life sentence" usually occurs after two years, and as no one has given up on me yet, my current treatment is a better option for me. The Watson Centre Society for Brain Health is also very committed to research and finding ways to give brain injury survivors a chance to live meaningful, productive, and independent lives.  How awesome is that? 

I met with Mark for coffee yesterday.  The good news for me was that they are in need of volunteers that share in their vision and who also have skills and strengths that they can use. (I knew I became a CPA for a reason.)  In exchange for my time, they will help me with my return to work goals. He promised to challenge me while also being sympathetic to my limitations and ongoing post concussion symptoms. It's really a win-win for everyone. 

I mean, let's be real here; in retrospect, I likely would not have said that brain injury recovery is my passion on my dating profile. I think it's fair to assume that having a brain injury might be a bit of a red flag for potential suitors on eHarmony.  Oh well, we all know this blog was never about dating how-to's.

I'll leave you with something one of my physiotherapists told me in one of our first sessions: "the days that break you are the days that make you."  I'm really starting to believe that.

Ahhhh I cannot wait to get started!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy New Year!

What. A. Year. Am I right?  Looking back on 2018, a few words come to mind: exhaustion, setbacks, gratitude and perspective.  The last 12 months didn’t come without its share of challenges. I lost my job, broke up with my boyfriend, and moved in with my parents. My headaches, migraines, fatigue and visual snow were debilitating and I spent more days in bed than not.  Conclusion: It was a tough year. BUT, I am tougher (is tougher a word? Or is it like funner? And I should be saying more tough? In case you were wondering, I didn’t learn how to spell in 2018).  Despite the above setbacks, actually I think it’s because of them, I am happier now than I have ever been. I have learned to stop, to feel, and to appreciate the beauty in my day to day life. Before my injury, I was never really present and was so focused on the one or two things I didn’t have. Now, I am just so grateful for every little thing (this includes you!). Thank you for all of your love, encouragement and support and for f

No More UGGHS for this Girl

Hey y'all, Remember me? I did another guest article for the Brain Energy Support Team and I thought I would share it.  Hugs! - K No More UGHS for this Girl! Editor’s note: BEST welcomes back writer, blogger and BEST guest blogger, Kirsten Short, who shares a terrific and informative article on some helpful tools and strategies to engage your goals and journey forward in 2019. Thank you Kirsten for your important words and support! -- KT Click here to read more.

Do you know what a Spoonie is?

The theory was developed by Christine Miserandino to explain what it is like living with a chronic illness or disability (the whole spoon thing may seem weird to you, but she was in a diner when she came up with the analogy and my guess is that knives would have been a bit more dangerous to play with):       “The difference in being sick and being healthy is having to make choices or to consciously think about things when the rest of the world doesn’t have to. The healthy have the luxury of a life without choices, a gift most people take for granted.  Most people start the day with unlimited amount of possibilities, and energy to do whatever they desire, especially young people. For the most part, they do not need to worry about the effects of their actions… I used spoons to convey this point.”   A healthy person will have an unlimited number of spoons, but a Spoonie, someone with a chronic illness or disability, will wake up in the morning with a limited number. T