Skip to main content

5 Things You Need to Know...

1. I am not a good writer.

I would like to apologize for any spelling and grammatical errors. My editor is on holidays indefinitely and I have a brain injury. Enjoy!

2. My concussion occurred on February 19th, 2017.

I wish I had a good story. I slipped or fainted, hit my chin on a heat register (based on the location of the blood splatter), and knocked myself out. I don't remember much from the day; only that it changed my life forever. 

3. Post-concussion syndrome is terrible. 

Webmd defines post-concussion syndrome "PCS" as "a medical problem that persists for a period of time after a head injury [usually a concussion or mild traumatic brain injury "mTBI")] has occurred. This period of time can range from weeks to months."  
I'll admit that I knew very little about concussions before this injury, and I am still fascinated that one hit to the head could affect me emotionally, physically, mentally, and cognitively.  When you think about it though, it isn't that surprising; our brains are responsible for everything (what we think, feel, do, etc). I found this chart published by the Children's Hospital of Philadelphia that paints a pretty good picture of the things I have to deal with regularly: 

4. My concussion's name is Stella.
Why? It felt right. My friend, Gemma*, suggested that we name my concussion to help make light of the situation. It has definitely added some humour to my condition. (THANK YOU GEMMA!) Not entirely sure who came up with the name, but I later found out that Stella is the name Gemma had on the top of her list of baby names. (OOPS, SORRY GEMMA!) 

5. This blog is not intended as a substitute for the medical advice of physicians. 


I mean there's a good chance that I am not making any sense (see point #1 above) and more importantly, I am not a doctor. I mean, I AM pretty smart,  so I could see why you might think I went to medical school or have a PhD, but you would be very mistaken.  Please regularly consult a physician in matters relating to your health and particularly with respect to any symptoms that may require diagnosis or medical attention.

*I have tried to recreate events, locales and conversations from my memories of them. Some names and identifying details have been changed to protect the privacy of individuals. (I've always wanted to say that!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No More UGGHS for this Girl

Hey y'all, Remember me? I did another guest article for the Brain Energy Support Team and I thought I would share it.  Hugs! - K No More UGHS for this Girl! Editor’s note: BEST welcomes back writer, blogger and BEST guest blogger, Kirsten Short, who shares a terrific and informative article on some helpful tools and strategies to engage your goals and journey forward in 2019. Thank you Kirsten for your important words and support! -- KT Click here to read more.

Happy New Year!

What. A. Year. Am I right?  Looking back on 2018, a few words come to mind: exhaustion, setbacks, gratitude and perspective.  The last 12 months didn’t come without its share of challenges. I lost my job, broke up with my boyfriend, and moved in with my parents. My headaches, migraines, fatigue and visual snow were debilitating and I spent more days in bed than not.  Conclusion: It was a tough year. BUT, I am tougher (is tougher a word? Or is it like funner? And I should be saying more tough? In case you were wondering, I didn’t learn how to spell in 2018).  Despite the above setbacks, actually I think it’s because of them, I am happier now than I have ever been. I have learned to stop, to feel, and to appreciate the beauty in my day to day life. Before my injury, I was never really present and was so focused on the one or two things I didn’t have. Now, I am just so grateful for every little thing (this includes you!). Thank you for all of your love, encouragement and support and for f

Concussions and Junk Drawers

Hi! Remember me? It has been far too long since my last post, and unfortunately (or fortunately?), that means that I have a lot to say now . Don’t get too excited though. This is going to be a ‘junk drawer’ of a blog; a bunch of random items all conveniently located in one spot.  here's a photograph in case you've forgotten me A caveat: I haven’t been too well lately, so I imagine there are far more spelling, formatting and grammatical errors in this post than usual (I really need to work on getting that editor). I’m sorry! GUEST BLOG POSTS   I have been writing for the Brain Energy Support Team (‘BEST’). If you’ve missed reading my blogs (Mom!), you can read two of my posts here: Changing the Language around Self-Care We know self-care is important, but why don’t we practice it regularly? Writer and blogger, Kirsten Short, explores how language impacts our perception of self-care in a fascinating article for the BEST blog. I’m a Brain Injury Surviv